Bee Mine Cookies
by Helen Wolt
1/4 cup soft butter
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup flour
1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1. Beat butter, sugar and egg in a large bowl until smooth.
2. In another bowl, mix flour, cornmeal and baking powder. Add to sugar mixture. Mix until dough feels like clay.
3. To create the bee's body, roll dough into two small balls the size of cherries. Press them together and place on a greased baking sheet.
4. Use the chocolate chips for eyes. Dip a toothpick in the cocoa powder, then press gently across the body to make stripes. Tuck an almond in each side for wings.
5. Place the baking sheet of cookies in the refrigerator while the oven is heating (chilling helps the dough hold its shape).
6. With an adult's help, bake at 350 degrees F for 12 minutes or until edges are light brown.
This article first appeared in the February 2004 issue of Focus on the Family Clubhouse magazine. Copyright © 2004 by Helen Wolt. Used by permission. Photo © Ron Nickel.