Sweet Imitation Sushi
by Amy Liu
Your friends will love these Japanese-style rolls with a twist—no joke!
¼ cup butter
4 cups miniature marshmallows
6 cups crispy rice cereal
green fruit leather
1. Grease a cookie sheet.
2. Melt butter in a large saucepan over low heat.
3. Add marshmallows and stir until completely melted. Remove from heat. Add cereal and stir until coated.
4. Using wax paper, press the warm mixture onto the cookie sheet, evenly spreading it.
5. Turn the cookie sheet so that the shorter ends are at the top and bottom. Beginning 1 inch from the bottom, place gummy worms end to end along the width of the mixture. Move up about 3 inches and repeat. You should end up with four lines of gummy worms.
6. Use wax paper to fold the lower edge over the worms. Gently roll forward to form a “sushi” log, stopping before you reach the next line of gummy worms.
7. Cut away the log from the rest of the marshmallow mixture. Repeat steps 6 and 7 to form three more logs.
8. When logs are cool, ask an adult to slice the logs into “sushi rolls” with a sharp knife.
9. Arrange rolls on a plate and wrap each one with a strip of green fruit leather for a colorful presentation!
This article first appeared in the April 2005 issue of Focus on the Family Clubhouse magazine. Copyright © 2005 by Amy Liu. Used by permission. Photo © Ron and Karen Nickel.